This degree program is designed to prepare students as paraprofessionals in the field chemical dependency treatment. With coursework in abuse, dependence, addiction, pharmacology, ethics, documentation and interviewing, treatment philosophies, family systems and relapse prevention, this program culminates with a 240-hour internship where students apply their knowledge in a guided field experience. The AAS in Chemical Dependency Studies can also afford many options for employment in any field requiring knowledge of substance abuse such psychology, social work, criminal justice or any occupational field in which one works with people.
With this coursework, students will earn an AAS in Chemical Dependency Studies and complete the educational requirements necessary to apply for licensure as a Substance Abuse Technician (LSAT) through the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners (AzBBHE).
Important Program Notes:
- CHD 100 is a prerequisite for all other CHD courses, along with PSY 101 , SOC 131 , CIS 110 (or CIS 131 ), and ENG 101 .
- Classes are not offered each semester.
- Students must achieve a minimum grade of 2.0 in each required course.
- Fingerprint Clearance Card is REQUIRED for field placement.
- Coursework is highly interactive and includes community-based activities.
- AAS in Chemical Dependency Studies emphasizes job skills for entry-level employment in substance abuse treatment.
Criteria for Internships
While a student may be academically prepared for this field experience, agencies may reject a candidate at the application interview for reasons they deem appropriate and for which they have determined would make the student inappropriate for placement in their agencies. Field supervisors may also terminate a student’s field experience at any time during the Internship if it is determined the student is resistant to supervision or non-compliant, or for any other reason the agency identifies in which the student poses a threat to client welfare.
- Students are required to have a Fingerprint Clearance Card prior to enrollment in the CHD 280 course (Chemical Dependency Practicum).
- Registration in CHD 280 is subject to the number of internships available each semester.
- Transportation related to internship placement is the responsibility of the student.
- Students are required to follow the placement agencies policies during their field experience.
- Students are required to absorb any costs involved in obtaining placement (I.E.: fingerprint clearance card, criminal background check, urine analysis, etc.).