Jul 13, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Admissions and Registration

Getting Started at MCC

Step 1: Apply for Admissions

  • New students will need to complete an admissions application. Once the application has been processed e-mails will be sent to the e-mail address provided on the application. These e-mails will include your MCC ID number, login information for the MCC student information system myMohave along with orientation information.
  • Students who are returning after more than a one-year absence will need to complete an admissions application.
  • All student applicants default to out-of-state tuition rates. Students seeking In-state  or Western Undergraduate Exchange  (WUE) tuition rates or any Arizona state-based financial aid must be prepared to submit proof of Citizenship and Arizona Residency. The student will receive an email with instructions on what documentation is needed and how the student can submit these documents. For more information regarding residency, see Residency Requirements .
  • Transfer students must submit an official transcript of prior credit attempted or earned at all other colleges or universities for evaluations. See Incoming Transfer Students  for all the necessary steps to have an official transcript evaluated.

For additional information visit the Admissions webpage.

MCC allows students to identify with their preferred name in the classroom setting and during their interactions with MCC personnel. MCC refers to a preferred name as a name that the individual wishes to use that differs from their legal name on legal documents and/or differs from the name that is listed on a student or employee’s original MCC record that has not been changed legally. 

A student’s legal name i.e., the name that appears on their passport, driver’s license, birth certificate, or U.S. Social Security Card, will appear on transcripts, diplomas, official student accounts and financial aid records, certification documents, student employment records, federal requests for information, National Student Clearinghouse, financial services documentation, and any other business processes and/or other activities that require use of a legal name. 

In order for a student to provide MCC with their preferred name, they must make this request on their admission application or as an update of their personal information via myMohave, Self Service User Profile. A student may choose a different first, middle, and/or last name as their preferred name. However, MCC reserves the right to remove a preferred name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language. In addition, preferred names may not be used for purposes of fraud or misrepresentation. 

If a student changes their preferred name after the first day of the semester, then they must notify their instructor(s) of the change to their preferred name. MCC will not notify instructors that a student has provided or changed a preferred name, although they and/or other MCC personnel will be able to see a student’s preferred name via their student record. 

Step 2: Plan for Payment

Applying for Financial Aid

We recognize that in this day and age, figuring out how to pay for college can be stressful, but Financial Aid is here to help! With Mohave Community College, you have options. First, we recommend that you apply for financial aid. Applying for financial aid means filing your FAFSA. Your FAFSA, or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), is your ticket to financial aid. Oh, and did we mention it’s free? MCC’s Federal School Code for the FAFSA, which will allow MCC to receive your FAFSA and calculate your aid, is 011864.

Financial aid opens the door to a number of opportunities to fund your education, like those listed below. We always recommend taking advantage of grants and scholarships, which don’t have to be paid back, before considering taking out loans.


Financial Aid

Scholarships: MCC offers many kinds of scholarships and grants for new, returning, and transfer students. Scholarships may be awarded for GPA, major, community service, or financial need. Some are awarded for interests and activities outside of college. Scholarship funds are paid to your student account prior to the start of the semester after all requirements for the fund are met. You can find more information on MCC scholarships on the Scholarships webpage.

Grants: Grants are need-based funds from your school, local or state government that are free – no repayment necessary! MCC also offers institutional, federal, and state grants. Eligibility for these grants is based on financial need as determined using information provided on the FAFSA. These funds usually require at least half-time enrollment each semester.

Outside Scholarships: MCC’s Financial Aid Office also maintains a webpage to help you find and apply for scholarships from outside of MCC. Receiving outside scholarships can reduce your need to take out student loans, help pay for living expenses, and save you money. You can find our outside scholarship resources on the Outside Scholarships webpage.

Self Service, through myMohave, is MCC’s online student portal where you can manage your financial aid records. In Self Service, you can:

  • View your financial aid awards 
  • View requested items needed to complete your financial aid application
  • Understand the steps to take before receiving financial aid

We recommend that you log into Self Service at least once per week to review any updates to your records. Additionally, the Financial Aid Office will send emails to the email address listed on your FAFSA. Don’t forget to check it regularly to avoid missing important notifications about your financial aid!


Non-Financial Aid

If you choose not to file the FAFSA or cannot apply for financial aid, you may have other opportunities to help pay your way through college.

Military: MCC proudly provides services to qualified active duty military, veterans, and dependents who may be eligible for educational assistance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For those qualified students, you can find more information on the Veterans Services webpage.

Third Party Payers: What is a third party? A third party is an outside party (which may include employers) that will pay your tuition and fees. Don’t forget to turn in all required documentation to the Bursar’s Office before your due date!


How to Pay Your Bill

Everyone has to pay tuition and fees, but that doesn’t mean it has to be difficult! MCC offers a variety of ways to pay your bill. If your financial aid doesn’t cover the full bill, or if you do not apply for financial aid, here are some options:

  • Student Payment: If you plan to pay your bill out-of-pocket, MCC accepts online payments with a credit or debit card. You can also mail your payment (check or money order), or make an in-person payment at the Bursar’s Office located on the Kingman campus. Payment in full or multiple partial payments may be made as long as payment in full is received by the published due date. 
    • For students at other campuses, there is a Student Payment Drop Box available at Student Services. You can drop off your payment during normal business hours. Please allow additional time, up to 14 days, for your payment to be received and fully processed.
  • Payment Plan: If you prefer to make monthly payments, we also offer a payment plan. You may select a plan that spreads payments over two to three months, depending when you sign up. Payments are made from a checking account or credit card. MCC partners with ACI Worldwide to offer this payment plan. Please review the Student Tuition Payment Plan  section in the catalog for additional information.

As the student, you have responsibility for the full amount of your tuition bill. Financial Aid can help to greatly reduce or eliminate the amount you need to pay. If you are responsible for paying some or all of the charges, your payment needs to be received by the published due dates for each semester or term. All tuition and fees for the year are published in the Tuition Rates  and Fee Chart  sections of the catalog. You can find the billing due dates in the myMohave portal, the Mohave Community College student information system.

Step 3: Discuss Course Placement

All first-time students and transfer students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to discuss course placement using Multiple Measures.


Multiple Measures

Multiple measures placement utilizes a variety of indicators for assessment and course placement through a guided advising discussion. Under a multiple measures approach, students can be placed based on the following criteria:

(To view the criteria for placement, refer to the MCC Placement Guide.)

  • ACT/SAT scores
  • Current or Previous Accuplacer exam scores
  • High School transcript
  • GED scores/transcripts
  • Official/Unofficial college transcripts
  • Work experience
  • Job Skills
  • Other standardized test scores


Transfer students must submit an official transcript of prior credit earned at another college or university. See Incoming Transfer Students  for all the necessary steps to have an official transcript evaluated.

For the cost of the placement test, see the Testing Services webpage or the Fee Chart  section in the Financial Information  of the MCC Catalog. For further information concerning MCC’s assessment policy, call MCC Connect.

Step 4: Academic Advising

Advisors provide students with the information and resources necessary for a successful academic experience at MCC. Participants can learn about MCC’s degree and certificate programs and the importance of test scores. In addition, students can get tips on how to choose classes, ideas on how to build a semester schedule, and strategies on how to register for classes. In addition, advisors will:

  • Provide information regarding the nature and purpose of higher education.
  • Discuss how to pay for college.
  • Complete an unofficial evaluation of transfer credits.
  • Define and refine educational goals and objectives.
  • Illustrate the consequences of alternative courses of action.
  • Encourage students to become active participants in their educational planning and college careers.
  • Identify and provide assistance addressing transfer issues.
  • Interpret assessment scores for proper course placement.
  • Deliver accurate verbal and written information on majors and program requirements.

For additional information regarding the role of an advisor and academic advising, visit Academic Advising under the Student Resources section of the Student Handbook.

Step 5: Registration

Registration is regarded as a commitment to comply with all regulations of the college. Students may not attend a class unless they are officially registered in the course. Registration can be completed online.

When planning course schedules and deciding on the number of courses to take, it is important that the student consider their individual abilities, work obligations, family obligations, and commitments to other outside activities. Lecture-type courses routinely require three hours of outside work for each hour spent in class.

  • Dates to register are designated in the Academic Calendar. See Course Schedule for courses being offered and their Course Delivery Options .
  • Students must meet the prerequisites and/or corequisites listed in the Courses  section of the catalog.
  • Students receiving Financial Aid should make every effort to register for all courses (including accelerated or late-start courses) prior to the Financial Aid census date (the last day of drop week for 15-week courses). For more information see Enrollment and Financial Aid .
  • New students who have completed the admissions process may register online in the MCC Student Portal. For step-by-step instructions, see Registering for Courses.
  • A student who is returning with an absence less than a combination of two terms/semesters may register online in the MCC Student Portal.
  • A student may add a course during the first week of the term.
  • To ensure that students have every opportunity for success in courses, academic loads are controlled.  A student may enroll for up to 18 credit hours per semester.  Enrollment in excess of 18 credit hours requires the approval of the appropriate Associate Dean of Instruction. A student may enroll for up to nine credit hours for a summer term which can be eight weeks or less. Enrollment in excess of nine credit hours requires the approval of the appropriate Associate Dean of Instruction.
  • To complete an Associate’s degree in two years, it is necessary to successfully complete 32-34 program credits each year. For students who plan to attend only during the fall and spring semesters (no summer term), it is necessary to average 15-17 program credits each semester.
  • Per ARS 15-1804, students that are identified as WUE or out-of-state for tuition purposes must enroll in less than 12 credits per semester for 12 consecutive months in order to be eligible for in-state tuition.

Students needing additional assistance may visit their local campus or call MCC Connect.

Step 6: Attend Class

  • Students who fail to attend the first week of an on-ground course or participate within the first week of an online course, and fail to contact the instructor within that first week regarding the absence, will be dropped from the class. A student may appeal this action within a week of being dropped for non-attendance (on-ground) or non-participation (online) by contacting the appropriate Associate Dean of Instruction or Program Director. In the event the course instructor is a program director or an associate dean, the appeal will be facilitated by the Dean. Faculty will verify their final student rosters by the fourteenth (14) day of the term to the Registrar’s Office.
  • The College reserves the right to withdraw students from classes at any time during the semester. For further information, please see the Withdrawal section in the College Catalog and/or Student Handbook.

Note: A class that has been dropped due to non-attendance can affect a student’s financial aid or VA education benefits. If you have any questions regarding the effects of a dropped class, please call MCC Connect.