Jul 13, 2024  
2013-2014 Catalog 
2013-2014 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information

Tuition Rates and Fees

MCC’s tuition and fees are among the most affordable in the state of Arizona. Students who complete the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) core classes before transferring to a university will save more than $6,000 in tuition alone. Those who complete an associate of arts, business, or science at MCC before going on to an in-state university will save more than $12,000 in tuition alone compared with those students who spend their freshman and sophomore years at the university.

All tuition and fees are to be paid at the time of registration. Some programs, courses, and activities at MCC have additional fees associated with them. Please see complete list of fees . Financial Aid is available in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and employment. MCC also offers a tuition payment plan. Important: Enrollment will be deleted if payment or payment arrangements are not made by the payment due date. Students are responsible for dropping classes if they do not plan to attend.

Type of Student Cost (per credit hour)
In-state students $78
Out-of-state students $312
Western Undergraduate Exchange Rate  $117

A Senior Citizen Tuition Rate applies to students who meet Arizona state residency requirements  and are at least 62 years of age at the time of registration. Tuition for credit courses is set at 50% of the regular tuition as set by the Governing Board. All fees for credit courses (technology fees, lab fees, etc.) are set at 100% as listed in the complete list of fees . Tuition for Community Outreach course work is 75% of the standard approved course rate. Any studio or lab fees for these courses are set at 100%.

For current tuition rates for the Adult Basic Education (ABE) , English Language Acquisition for Adults (ELA) , and General Educational Development (GED)  programs, please call MCC Connect  or visit the following webpages: College Preparation Courses and/or GED.

The MCC Governing Board reserves the right to change or withdraw, without notice, curriculum, policies, tuition or any other matters described in college publications or online.

College Indebtedness Policy

A student who is indebted to the College for an outstanding/overdue financial obligation will have an Accounts Receivable (AR) hold placed on his/her account and no further services of any kind will be provided, including but not limited to registration, transmitting files, records, or transcripts, or receiving other services that have been requested by such person. However, the student shall not be prohibited from obtaining a copy of his/her student records in those circumstances where the individual cannot effectively review his or her student records without receiving such copies.

Nonpayment of financial obligations constitutes authorization for administrative cancellation of enrollment and removal of the student from all classes. Unpaid debts may be referred to a collection agency and/or a credit bureau and the student will be responsible for payment of collection fees. Students who wish to dispute outstanding debts will be provided an adjudication process by the college bursar or his/her designee.

Any student who has received financial aid and who drops below the level of eligibility for the amount received may incur an overpayment resulting in a balance due. If the balance due is not paid within 24 hours of the incurred debt, the indebtedness policy outlined above will be followed and the student will be administratively withdrawn from all classes; all financial aid received must be returned.

For immediate release of the student financial hold, full payment must be received via cash, money order, check (requires a 14-day processing period), or in person with credit card. Payments over the phone are not accepted. If you have any questions regarding your student account/debt, please contact MCC Connect .

Methods of Payment

MCC accepts personal checks, MasterCard, VISA, Discover, American Express, money orders, and cash. The following options are available:

  1. Pay the full tuition and fee payment at the time of registration.
  2. Pay the full tuition and fee payment by the fee payment deadline.
  3. Receive a Financial Aid Award notification by the fee payment deadline.
  4. Enroll in payment plan available online with Nelnet Business Solutions.

Note: If fees will be paid by a third party, it is the responsibility of the student to ensure all required documentation is provided to the registration office prior to the payment due date.

Student Tuition Payment Plan

eCashier image

Mohave Community College has contracted with Nelnet Business Solutions (NBS) to provide various payment options to assist students in paying for college. MCC is pleased to offer e-Cashier as a convenient online payment plan. Using e-Cashier, students may select installment plans that are spread over several months, depending on when they register. Payments can be made online from a checking or savings account or credit card. The only cost to participate in the e-Cashier program is a $25.00 per semester nonrefundable fee. There is no fee when the balance is paid in full; note that payments are processed immediately. The e-Cashier program is not a loan program; there is no debt incurred, no credit search is conducted, and there are no interest or finance charges assessed by NBS on the unpaid balance.

Payment plans available through e-Cashier include the following benefits:

  • Convenient online enrollment and online payments
  • Monthly payment plans
  • Flexible payment options
  • Automatic payment processing
  • No interest
  • Email notifications
  • Automatic bank payments
  • Credit card payment options (Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover)

To register for classes and take advantage of the payment plan option, complete the following steps:

  1. Go to MyCampus, sign in, and then go to EXWeb.
  2. Select your classes* and then click on “My Account balances.”
  3. Select “Payment Plan Setup” to be directed to the e-Cashier page. This page provides information on how to sign-up for the plan, how to select a payment schedule, and how to make payments.
  4. Review the frequently asked questions.

Note: If you have already registered, go to EXWeb and click on “Account Information.” There you will find the e-Cashier icon in red. Click on the icon and you will be directed to the information mentioned above.

Financial Aid Programs

To help students meet the financial obligations of college attendance, Mohave Community College administers a varied and comprehensive financial aid program. Financial aid is designed to bridge the gap between the cost of attending college and what students and their families are expected to contribute. For a comprehensive review of financial aid programs, specific requirements and related resources, please refer to the Financial Aid webpage or the Student Handbook.

Undergraduate financial aid recipients of grants are typically required to enroll for 12 credits per semester in their declared degree program, which is the federal definition of full-time enrollment (Pell Grants are pro-rated for full-time, three-quarters-time, half-time, and less than half-time). Loan and Work Study recipients must maintain six credits each semester in their declared degree program. Federal financial aid recipients may not owe a repayment on grants previously received, or be in default on any federal student loan.

Federal Pell Grant: The Federal Pell Grant is a federal Title IV grant program to help undergraduate students pay for educational costs. The amount of Federal Pell Grant is based on the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a payment schedule issued by the U.S. Department of Education. The MCC Financial Aid Office will determine if a student meets eligibility criteria and is in an eligible program of study.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): FSEOG is a federal Title IV grant program which provides additional funds from the federal government that are matched by MCC, to exceptionally needy students as determined by the FAFSA. FSEOG funds are limited; students are encouraged to file a FAFSA by the priority deadline published each year to be considered for these funds. Award amounts vary and are determined annually.

Federal Work Study (FWS) and Institutional Work Study (INS): FWS is a federal Title IV program that provides opportunities for students to work part-time and earn income to help meet educational expenses. INS funds are made available through the Institutional Board of Governors and provide opportunities for students to work part-time and earn income to help meet educational expenses. FWS and INS funds are limited; students are encouraged to file a FAFSA by the priority deadline published each year to be considered for these funds. Award amounts for FWS and INS vary and are determined annually.

Federal Direct Loans: Federal Direct Loans are Title IV funds in the form of low-interest loans made to the borrowers directly by the federal government. Borrowers must file a FAFSA and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) prior to receiving loan proceeds. Federal Direct Loans may be subsidized or unsubsidized and may be based on financial need and cost of attendance. Borrowers must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible. Annual and aggregate limits apply. The federal government pays the interest while the borrower is in school or in deferment status on Federal Direct Subsidized Loans. Interest accrues at all times on Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans and is capitalized upon entering repayment if the borrower is not paying interest while in school and during the grace period. Additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans may be available to independent borrowers.

MCC Scholarship Program: MCC offers a variety of scholarships for new, continuing, and incoming transfer students. These scholarships include recognition for academic success, leadership, and excellence in a particular subject or skill or may be based on financial need. See the Scholarship webpage for program-specific and application information.

Application Process: All federal and most state financial aid programs require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Scholarship programs may also require the FAFSA and typically require a separate application. To complete the FAFSA, visit the FAFSA website. Students (and their parents) will need a Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (FSA PIN) to e-sign the FAFSA. To request a new or duplicate PIN, please visit the Federal Student Aid PIN website.

Short Term Emergency Loans

Short term emergency short term loans can be granted, up to $500, to purchase course-related books and supplies from the Barnes and Noble bookstore at the college provided necessary requirements are met. 

In addition, applications will only be considered within the first two weeks of course start dates. If a student is in need of course-related books and supplies outside of this designated timeframe or has other financial issues that are hindering their educational success, please have them contact a local student services director or an advisor for assistance.

Student Requirements:

  1. Student must be currently enrolled.
  2. Student can utilize loan process only once within an academic year.
  3. Student must already have an activated HigherOne card.
  4. Student cannot have a delinquent account balance with the college.
  5. Student must have anticipated financial aid (cannot be anticipated aid for future semester) in the amount to cover tuition, fees, books/supplies.

IMPORTANT: Amount borrowed must be paid back within 30 days of the date the promissory note is signed. If the loan is not paid back within the 30 days of the signed promissory note, all classes will be dropped and an AR (financial hold) will be placed on student’s account. The student’s account will also be placed into the college’s scheduled billing cycle and may roll into collections as a delinquent account that will incur additional collection fees.


  1. Student provides a picture ID, a listing and cost breakdown of the course-related books and supplies they need to student services (they can get this by going to whywaitforbooks.com and entering in applicable information) in addition to semester schedule (available on JICS).
  2. Student Services confirms information and sends student to registration window.
  3. At the registration window, documentation is checked as well as financial aid status.
  4. If information is approved according to short-term loan requirements, operations specialist provides student with application and promissory note to be completed.
  5. Student provides operations specialist with completed application and promissory note.
  6. Operations specialist confirms completion of paperwork with student.
  7. Student proceeds to Barnes and Noble bookstore to purchase books and supplies up to the pre-determined amount
Veterans Education Benefits

Mohave Community College provides services to veterans, widows, and dependents who may be eligible for educational assistance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Services offered include assistance with the application for education benefits, tutorial assistance, and services for disabled veterans. Veteran students may be eligible to defer their payment of tuition, fees, and books. Veterans must meet satisfactory academic progress to continue using their VA education benefits at MCC. Students using VA education benefits who are found to have met the requirements for academic dismissal as listed in this catalog will have their benefits discontinued and be reported as terminated to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Students meeting the requirements for readmission will be allowed to reinitiate the use of their VA education benefits, although the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will make the final decision as to whether they will continue to pay out for those education benefits.

It is important to note that the VA will only pay for classes that are required for the degree or certificate the student is pursuing. Courses taken outside of the declared program of pursuit will not be certified for benefits. Please call MCC Connect  or visit a student services specialist at the nearest MCC campus to obtain the necessary paperwork to start or continue a claim for education benefits. Additional information on VA education benefits may be obtained at Veteran Services or Department of Veterans Affairs.


Students who have an outstanding debt to the college will be billed in a three-month billing cycle. MCC’s billing cycle starts after the add/drop period for 15 week courses. The student will receive a copy of his/her student account and the amount owed at the beginning of month one and two in the billing cycle. On the third month, the student will receive a “pre-collect” letter from MCC’s national collection agency giving the student one last attempt to clear his/her account and bring it to a zero balance. If, after the third month, the student still shows an outstanding amount due, the student’s account will be termed delinquent and, as accepted upon registering by the student in the “Obligations Terms and Conditions” agreement, will be turned over to a collection agency, attorney, and/ or credit bureau. The student will be held responsible for collection costs and attorney’s fees in addition to the outstanding balance. Any students owing money to the college will be placed on an Accounts Receivable (AR) hold (AR. In order to remove the AR hold, a student’s account must be paid in full.

Tuition and Fee Refund Policy for Credit Courses

If a student drops a class during that class’s official add/drop period, the student may receive a refund of 100% of tuition and applicable fees paid to the college. This does not include any fees designated as “non-refundable.” All refunds will be issued to students via the Bighorn OneCard. When the card is received and activated, students can choose how college refunds are received. Refunds are processed within two weeks after the official add/drop period.

Note: Dropping a class can affect financial aid. If you have any questions regarding how to drop a class or would like to speak to financial aid before dropping any classes, please contact MCC Connect .

Special Circumstances

Approval for special circumstance refunds must be obtained from the dean of student services. In special circumstances, a student may request to be dropped from all courses after the official add/drop period for one of the following reasons and receive a refund (if applicable) of tuition and fees (except fees for instruments, tools, or uniform costs):

  1. Serious illness of the student (100 percent refund of tuition and net fees) as long as the request is made prior to the end of the semester in which the illness occurs. The student must submit a verifiable doctor’s statement certifying that the illness prevents him/her from attending classes.
  2. The death of the student taking the course or the death of the parent, child, or spouse (100 percent refund of tuition and net fees) if the request is made prior to the end of the semester in which the death occurs. The student or the student’s survivor must provide a death certificate or newspaper obituary notice as well as proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license).
  3. Military service (100 percent refund of tuition and net fees), if the student belongs to the armed forces or National Guard and is called to active duty and assigned to a duty station distant from the campus. A copy of the military orders must be provided.

Note: When courses are dropped, all financial aid received must be repaid by the student

Bighorn OneCard

In an effort to go “green,” all refunds and all financial aid refunds will be issued to the student’s Bighorn OneCard (paper checks are no longer issued). Mohave Community College has partnered with Higher One to provide faster options for receiving refunds.

Following completion of the registration process (for credit courses), MCC will process the creation of a Bighorn OneCard. The card will be sent to the student’s mailing address (the address listed during registration). If you do not receive the card at the address you provide to us, you will need to re-order another card at registration window and you will be responsible for a $20.00 re-ordering fee. To replace a lost or misplaced card, re-order at the registration window; you will also be responsible for the $20.00 re-ordering fee.

Upon receiving your Bighorn OneCard, visit Bighorn OneCard.com to activate your refund preference. Remember: even if you are not currently anticipating a refund from the college, we may have one for you in the future; it is critical that you activate your refund preference as soon as your card arrives in the mail. Your refund options include:

  1. Easy Refund to the OneAccount (refunds available the same day MCC releases the funds to Higher One).
  2. ACH transfer to other bank (refunds available 2-3 business days).
  3. Paper check (refunds available 5-7 business days).

For more information about the Bighorn OneCard or OneAccount, visit EasyHelp 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or contact MCC Connect .

 1098-T (Hope Scholarship)

Any student enrolled in classes for credit at Mohave Community College may receive an electronic 1098-T tax form for their end-of-year tax purposes. Should you be eligible, your 1098-T information will be available to you by January 31 (possibly sooner) and will remain available online for your convenience 24/7 for the entire year. If you are with your tax consultant and have forgotten your form, there is no need to wait on business hours to obtain a copy. Follow the instructions below:

  1. Go to http://mymohave.mohave.edu/.
  2. Select the “EX Web (JICS)” icon.
  3. Select the “Login” feature at the top right-hand corner.
  4. Enter your “Username” and “Password.”
  5. Select Student tab.
  6. Select Account and Payment Information tab.
  7. Select “Go to My 1098-T Info” on the right side of the page.
  8. Print.

Note: If you have received more financial aid than actual tuition billed for the calendar year, you will not be receiving a 1098-T tax form. If you do not wish to receive an electronic copy, please send an email to the Bursar’s Office no later than October 31st of current year. All paper forms will be mailed to the address stated within the college administrative system. Current students should update their contact information using JICS. Former students should contact the Registrar’s Office.

For catalog concerns and/or recommendations: mcccatalog@mohave.edu. Powered by the Acalog™ Academic Catalog Management System™ (ACMS™).