May 22, 2024  
2013-2014 Catalog 
2013-2014 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Information

Incoming Transfer Students
Outgoing Transfer Students

Incoming Transfer Students

Advanced Standing (non-traditional) Credit

Acceptance of credit by examination or military education is based on the tenet that some students may have previously acquired the knowledge and/or competencies required to complete a particular class and that instruction in this area would be repetitive. The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), formal military education, and high school advanced placement (AP) tests are included in the category of Advanced Standing credit. A student may earn a maximum of one-third of the credits required for a degree or certificate of proficiency by using Advanced Standing credits.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Many students enter college possessing the knowledge and/or mastery of content in certain subjects. Students are given the opportunity to demonstrate this knowledge and/or mastery through CLEP examinations. The credits earned from CLEP exams may be applied to degrees, certificates, and AGEC requirements, depending upon the subject area. The College-Level Examination Program  table reports the examinations accepted by Mohave Community College, the minimum required scores, and the course(s) awarded if the knowledge and/or mastery is successfully demonstrated. Note the following limitations:

  • Scores must be received directly from the College Board to be considered. The grade of “TC” is posted for those who successfully pass CLEP exams. 
  • Students will not be awarded credit for a course that is lower than one in which they are currently enrolled or have previously received credit.
  • CLEP examinations do not count toward VA Educational Benefits, nor will they earn financial assistance through the Financial Aid Department.
  • CLEP credits are considered Advanced Standing (non-traditional) credits and are therefore subject to those rules.
  • The Spanish exam has the potential to award credit for more than one course. Only SPA101 is accepted in the AGEC-A and AGEC-B. Other credits, if awarded, may be applied as elective credits, depending upon the program of pursuit at MCC. 
  • In exams where two courses that appear in the AGEC are awarded, only one course may be applied in the General Education category (e.g., ENG 235 and ENG 236). The remaining course must be applied to another category or as an elective depending upon the program of pursuit.
  • CLEP credits will be re-evaluated upon transfer, so no guarantee can be made that credits accepted by MCC will be accepted by other institutions and vice versa. Students should contact the institution to which they plan to transfer to determine which exams will be accepted and what scores are required. 

Contact Testing Services for additional information about CLEP, including tests available, application forms, test registration, costs, score reporting policies, and additional restrictions.

Formal Military Education/Training Credit

Credit may be awarded to veterans who have completed programs described in “A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services.” An official sealed copy of the transcript must be submitted directly from the appropriate branch of the armed forces to MCC’s Office of the Registrar for final determination of transfer credit. Contact MCC Connect  to speak to a student services specialist for additional information.

High School Advanced Placement (AP) Test

High school students who successfully complete Advanced Placement courses can shorten the time it takes to complete a college degree by applying credits earned from AP exams to degrees, certificates, and AGEC requirements. Advanced Placement test score standards are decided by each discipline’s state-wide Articulation Task Force (ATF) and approved by the Arizona Academic Program Articulation Steering Committee (APASC).

The Advanced Placement  table shows examinations accepted by Mohave Community College, the minimum required scores, and the course(s) awarded if the knowledge and/or mastery is successfully demonstrated. Note the following limitations:

  • Scores must be received directly from the College Board to be considered. The grade of “TC” is posted for those who successfully pass AP exams.
  • AP examinations are only administered through the College Board. Scores posted on a high school transcript, or the designation of an AP course on a high school transcript, will not justify the awarding of AP credit.
  • Advanced Placement credits are considered Advanced Standing (non-traditional) credits and are subject to those rules.
  • The Spanish exam has the potential to award credit for more than one course. Only SPA 101 is accepted in the AGEC-A and AGEC-B. The other credits, if awarded, may be applied as elective credits, depending upon the program of pursuit at MCC.
  • In exams where two courses that appear in the AGEC list are awarded, only one course may be applied in the General Education category (e.g., HIS 131 and HIS 132). The remaining course must be applied to another category or as an elective depending upon the program of pursuit.
  • AP credits will be re-evaluated upon transfer, so no guarantee can be made that credits accepted by MCC will be accepted by other institutions and vice versa. Students should contact the institution to which they plan to transfer to determine which exams will be accepted and what scores are required.

Contact MCC Connect  to speak to a student services specialist for additional information.

Transcript Evaluation Criteria

Students who wish to transfer credits from other institutions to Mohave Community College must file official transcripts from those institutions with the MCC Registrar’s Office where they will be evaluated by the Office of the Registrar. Transfer students must complete the following steps:

  1. Complete an MCC admission application.
  2. Request transcripts from the other institutions.
  3. Wait to be assigned an official MCC ID number.
  4. Verify that transcripts have been received at MCC by calling MCC Connect .
  5. Request a transcript evaluation.

All students should review the online Transcript Evaluation Request Procedures. Not following instructions will result in delays. Note the following requirements:

  • Transcripts must be mailed directly to MCC from the institution(s), including military transcripts.
  • MCC will not accept credits from any college without the transcripts from that institution (i.e., credits from College “X” that are posted on College “Y’s” transcript will not be considered).
  • Transcripts are evaluated toward the student’s selected program. Therefore, only courses needed to satisfy the selected degree/certificate (and coursework necessary to meet prerequisites) will be awarded.
  • Additional courses completed at other institutions that do not apply toward the selected degree/certificate will not appear as transfer credit on the student’s MCC transcript.
  • Only courses with a grade of “C” or higher will be considered for transfer credit. A “Pass” grade may be accepted if it is noted on the transcript that “Pass” is equal to a “C” grade.
  • Science, allied health, computer, and other technical courses taken ten or more years ago do not transfer and must be retaken.
  • Fire Science, Emergency Medical Services, Administration of Justice Studies, and Early Childhood Education courses taken five or more years ago do not transfer and must be retaken. 
  • The registrar has final authority in the decision of course transferability. To request that a transcript evaluation be reassessed, the student must file a Petition for Transfer Course Re-evaluation form through a student services director.
  • Transcripts received by Mohave Community College from other schools become the sole property of MCC. Neither originals nor copies can be released to the student or to any third party.
  • All transcripts must be mailed directly from your previous institution(s) to:
Mohave Community College
Registrar’s Office
Mailstop 104
1971 Jagerson Avenue
Kingman, AZ 86409

Note: Specific MCC programs may require that official transcripts be sent directly to those departments (Nursing, Dental Hygiene, etc.) If you have had your transcript sent to a specific department (Nursing, Dental Hygiene, etc.), your transcript will be sent by those departments to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation. You do not have to request the transcript be evaluated. These transcripts will be accepted and reviewed by the Registrar’s Office as official if they are sent from the appropriate institution directly to (and opened by) those departments.

If a student’s cumulative GPA was below 2.0 at a previous college/university, the student will be admitted to MCC on academic probation.

Official Transcripts Versus Unofficial Transcripts

A transcript will not be considered official, and will be rejected for evaluation, under any of the following circumstances:

  • The registrar’s seal and/or signature is missing.
  • The transcript is stamped “Issued to Student” or “Student Copy,” etc.
  • The transcript was received directly from the student, either through mail delivery or hand-carried.
  • The transcript is for the wrong student.
  • The transcript is illegible.

The College may accept course credit from colleges and schools accredited by any of the following regional accreditation commissions: The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.; Northwest Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

Quarter Credit Versus Semester Credit

MCC uses the semester unit to measure course hours while certain other institutions use the quarter unit. Quarter units are valued at approximately 2/3 the value of semester credits. Courses that fall short of MCC’s semester hour equivalents may not be eligible for transfer. The most common reason a course may fall short of MCC’s semester hour equivalent is that the course was completed at an institution that uses a quarter-unit system.

To determine the equivalents for transfer purposes, MCC divides the quarter credits by the standard 2/3 and rounds down to the nearest whole number. The table below provides the most common equivalencies:

Quarter Credits   Semester Credits
1 = 0
2 = 1
3 = 2
4 = 2
5 = 3
6 = 4

In certain cases, a course may be accepted for transfer as credit but not toward a specific subject in that discipline. For example, if a student at a regionally accredited quarter-unit school completes an introductory psychology course at three or four quarter units, the credit awarded in transfer would be labeled “PSY1TR.” In this example, the “1TR” designation indicates that credit was awarded, but not toward any particular course in that discipline as the student has not met the three semester unit requirement at MCC. On the other hand, a student completing five quarter units of introductory psychology at a regionally accredited school may, after review of the course description, be eligible for PSY 101 because the three semester unit requirement has been met.

 Foreign Credit

MCC does not evaluate transcripts from colleges/universities outside of the United States. Students wishing to have credits from these institutions transferred to MCC must have their transcripts evaluated by a foreign education credential service. A list of providers can be found at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. In addition, the student may search the Internet for international credential evaluators. The student is responsible for verifying that the company they plan to use is approved to perform comprehensive evaluations for transfer to U.S. regionally accredited institutions. An official, sealed copy of the evaluation must be submitted directly from the credential service to MCC’s Office of the Registrar. Final determination of transfer credit will then be made by that office.

Western Arizona Vocational Education (WAVE)


Western Arizona Vocational Education (WAVE) is a Joint Technological Education District (JTED) that connects structured high school programs with MCC. High school juniors and seniors can take specific technical courses at participating high schools that have an articulation agreement with MCC. Students who pass these courses are eligible for awarded college credit. While these credits may be awarded at MCC and count toward a degree or certificate from MCC, these credits may not transfer elsewhere to other institutions. Participating high schools include: Kingman High School, Lake Havasu High School, Mohave High School, River Valley High School, and El Capitan High School.

The WAVE JTED also offers various career and technical education courses to the partner high school students outside of the regular high school day. Many of these courses are funded by the WAVE JTED district enabling students to attend classes at an MCC site at reduced or no cost.  

The Association for Career and Technical Education of Arizona (ACETEAZ) is dedicated to the advancement of Career and Technical Education learning that prepares youths and adults for careers in the global competitive workforce. For more information, see an area high school guidance counselor, talk to a local campus student services specialist, or call MCC Connect .

 Outgoing Transfer Students

 Arizona Higher Education Course Equivalency Guide (CEG)

AZ Transfer

Students intending to transfer to another institution should meet with a student services specialist to learn about the resources available and to facilitate transfer of MCC credits to the university. The Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education, in conjunction with the Arizona Board of Regents, publishes the Arizona Higher Education Course Equivalency Guide (CEG) and transfer pathway information at: AZTransfer. The CEG shows how courses transfer from community college to ASU, NAU, and U of A. For a course to be eligible for transfer, the student must receive a “C” or better. Acceptance of a transfer course is determined by the receiving institution. The CEG “equivalency” does not mean that the community college course is identical to the university course or vice versa, but that the course is regarded as fulfilling the requirement of the designated university or college course. The evaluations of transfer credit in the CEG refer only to community college courses and their acceptance at the respective four-year institutions in the state of Arizona. Students are encouraged to consult with the appropriate transfer institution’s academic department for major course requirements before deciding on current class schedules. For help understanding the CEG, consult CEG Help.

Mohave Community College Transferrable Courses: The AZTransfer website updates the CEG on a weekly basis. For the most current information regarding the transferability of MCC courses, see the Course Equivalency Guide. Choose the Mohave Community College link. Note: A transferrable course is defined as an MCC course that transfers to all three Arizona state universities (Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, and the University of Arizona).

Shared Unique Number (SUN) System


The SUN System is a college course numbering system designed to help Arizona students plan their post-MCC educations by ensuring that courses taken at MCC transfer successfully. Enrolling in SUN courses is an easy way to plan ahead, to maximize course credits, and to save money.

The SUN System provides a list of courses taught at MCC and hundreds of other Arizona colleges. These courses will be accepted at any Arizona college. Students who wish to take advantage of the SUN System should review the Course Equivalency Guide on the AZTransfer website to search for additional transferrable courses. The student services specialists on each campus can provide additional information on course transfer and transfer programs.

SUN courses have a unique three-letter prefix and four-digit course number that represents direct course equivalency at all Arizona public community colleges and universities. Each institution retains its original course numbers but uses the SUN to indicate commonality. For example, financial accounting has several different prefixes and numbers at the community colleges and universities (see the table below). In the SUN System, all of the courses share a unique number and a single prefix, e.g., SUN# ACC 2201. This unique number/prefix indicates course equivalency at all institutions.


ACC 2201
Financial Accounting

Arizona State University ACC 231
Arizona Western College ACC 211
Central Arizona College ACC 201
Chandler-Gilbert Community College ACC 211
Cochise College BUS 201
Coconino Community College ACC 255
Eastern Arizona College BUA 233
Estrella Mountain Community College ACC 211
Gateway Community College ACC 211
Glendale Community College ACC 211
Mesa Community College ACC 211
Mohave Community College BUS 221
Northern Arizona University ACC 255
Northland Pioneer College BUS 120
Paradise Valley Community College ACC 211
Phoenix College ACC 211
Pima Community College ACC 101
Rio Salado College ACC 211
Scottsdale Community College ACC 211
South Mountain Community College ACC 211
University of Arizona ACCT 200
Yavapai College ACC 131
Some courses may require a placement exam upon transfer to a different institution.


Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC)


Effective January, 1999, the Arizona community colleges and universities agreed upon a common structure for a transfer general education curriculum. This curriculum provides students attending any Arizona community college with the opportunity to build a general education curriculum that is transferable upon completion (without loss of credit) to another Arizona community college or university. The Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) is at least 35-credit hours of lower-division general education course work. There are three forms of the AGEC: Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC - A)  for students majoring in the arts, humanities, or the social and behavioral sciences; Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC - B)  for students majoring in business; and Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC - S)  for students majoring in the physical and biological sciences or in the health-related professions. The general education subject areas include English, mathematics, arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, physical and biological sciences, and options.

All courses included in the AGEC block must be completed with a grade of “C” or better in order to transfer. The block can be completed by itself or as part of an associate’s degree at MCC.

The college certifies completion of an AGEC on the student’s transcript if the student applies for this designation. A completed AGEC will transfer as a block to any of the three Arizona public universities (NAU, ASU, and U of A). The AGEC meets lower-division university general education requirements. To earn a baccalaureate degree, students transferring the AGEC must still meet other university requirements within their chosen majors.

A completed AGEC also transfers as a block to meet the general education requirements at other public Arizona community colleges. Transfer students who wish to earn an associate’s degree must then meet any additional community college degree requirements at that particular institution.

Effective Fall 2010: All courses used to satisfy Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) requirements must be transferable as elective credit or better1 to all Arizona public universities. All courses used to satisfy remaining Associate Degree requirements2 must be transferable as elective credit or better to the university and major to which the associate’s degree is intended to transfer. However, if the baccalaureate degree is a shared major,3 offered by more than one university, the courses must transfer as elective credit or better to all the universities offering the shared major.


1 Elective or better. Identified in the Course Equivalency Guide (CEG) as Elective (E), Departmental Elective Credit (DE), or a Direct Equivalency.

2 Remaining Associate Degree Requirements. Courses used to complete associate degree requirements beyond the courses of the AGEC such as Common Courses, Electives, Prerequisites, etc. These degrees include the Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Business (ABus), Associate of Science (AS).

3Shared Major. A shared major is a university degree program that has similar academic preparation to one or more degree programs at other Arizona public universities as listed on the Common Course Matrices.

Types of Transfer
  1. The AGEC Block will transfer to the state of Arizona public institutions, i.e., the state universities (ASU, NAU, U of A) and community colleges. When a student completes and applies for the AGEC, the student’s transcripts will note the completion of the AGEC. The completed AGEC will meet the general education requirements (also known as liberal studies requirements) for Arizona’s public higher education institutions. Students should be aware that universities and departments may have other requirements in addition to the AGEC.
  2. Individual courses (credits) can transfer to a university in three different ways:

    1. Direct equivalency or one-to-one course transfer. In this case, an MCC course has a direct equivalent that transfers to a university course.
    2. Departmental elective. A university may not offer the same course as an MCC course, but the department may accept it as an elective for their department. This is helpful especially when the department has a requirement for departmental electives. If they don’t, the course may count as a university elective.
    3. General elective. The course will only transfer as a general elective; it will not transfer as a direct equivalent (one-to-one) or a departmental elective. In this case, it can be used to meet the number of credits needed to graduate.

Note: Universities may have additional requirements such as the following:

  • An application (with fee) at least one semester before attendance.
  • Liberal studies requirements (for institutions outside of AZ).
  • Junior-level writing requirement.
  • Diversity course requirements.
  • Electives.
  • A minimum number of courses taken at their university including the number of 300-400 level courses.
  • The number of credits to graduate (usually 120).
  • Program/major requirements, e.g., School of Education (Elementary Education), School of Business (Accounting, Business Administration), such as an application to program (separate from the application to and acceptance in the university), prerequisite courses to enter program, and core courses within a program.

Transfer Partners and Institutional Affiliations

Mohave Community College can be a student’s stepping stone to advanced college degrees and other specialized education through the four-year degree transfer partnerships that MCC has established with more than a dozen premiere institutions. These colleges and universities offer seamless transfer of most MCC credits and programs to bachelor’s degree programs. These premiere institutions offer a wide array of courses and programs, some through on-campus courses and all through distance education. For more details, see the Transfer Partners and Institutional Affiliations webpage for complete list of participating institutions. 

Transcript Request

Transcripts may be requested online, by mail, or in person. (Faxes and emails cannot be accepted.) If a student has any indebtedness with the college, it must be cleared up before a transcript request will be processed. 

  • Online: Order MCC transcripts online by visiting the National Student Clearinghouse. The Clearinghouse accepts credit or debit cards for payment. Transcripts are $5.00 each plus the applicable National Student Clearinghouse processing fee.
  • By Mail: Submit the Mohave Community College Transcript Request form. Include a money order for the total number of transcripts requested at $10.00 per transcript. Note: Cash, check or credit/debit card payments cannot be accepted with mail orders. Mail to: Transcript Request, Mailstop 104, Mohave Community College, 1971 Jagerson Avenue, Kingman, AZ 86409
  • In Person: Submit the Mohave Community College Transcript Request form at the Enrollment Services window at your local MCC campus. Pay by cash, money order or credit/debit card at $10.00 per transcript.

During busy periods and holidays, it may take up to 10 business days from the receipt of the request in the Registrar’s Office for the request to be processed. A rush processing request may be made for an additional $20.00. With rush processing, the request for transcripts will be processed the next business day. Students also have the option of a rush delivery for an additional $30.00. Instead of being sent USPS, the transcripts will be sent using UPS. Rush delivery orders cannot be sent to P.O. Box addresses. 

Students are strongly encouraged to check their MCC online transcript every semester. Any discrepancies that may be on the transcript must be brought to the attention of the Office of the Registrar within one calendar year of the completion of the course(s) in question. Transcript investigation requests that do not meet the appropriate timeline will not be accepted. For grade grievances, see the Grade Related Grievance: Grade Appeal .

For catalog concerns and/or recommendations: Powered by the Acalog™ Academic Catalog Management System™ (ACMS™).